Neal Bawa, otherwise known as the Mad Scientist of Multifamily, joins us today for a discussion about how he has used his data science background to make a memorable mark on the real estate industry. Neal’s insatiable curiosity, his persistence, and his drive to disrupt have led to him being in charge of a $1 billion multifamily portfolio with 700 team members, not to mention that he is one of the most in-demand speakers in the commercial real estate space! During this episode, Neal explains what Super Value Add projects are, what drove him to start doing them, and why he would recommend them over ground-up construction projects. We also delve into the structures that Neal has put in place which allow him to do 30 projects a year and work only 35 hours a week, why he prioritizes his mental and physical health, and the plans that he has to give back to society in a very meaningful way.
Key Points From This Episode:
- How an applied statistics course changed Neal’s life.
- Where Neal’s real estate journey began.
- An overview of what Neal’s journey in the real estate space has looked like to date.
- The three major real estate categories that Neal focuses on.
- Why Neal feels an affinity towards physicist, Richard P. Feynman.
- Neal explains why he is less bullish about Multifamily Value Add projects than he was 5 years ago.
- Challenges that Neal ran into when he decided to combine Multifamily Value Add with construction.
- The brand new equity tranche that Neal invented.
- Why building trust is a key to the success of a Super Value Add project.
- 27 days; the length of time it took Neal to fill his Park Canyon apartment block.
- Neal’s upcoming Super Value Add project.
- The optimal property price for a Super Value Add project.
- Why Neal would recommend doing a Super Value Add over a ground-up construction project.
- The responsibility that you have to look after your physical and mental health when you are managing other people’s money.
- What Neal sees as the ideal number of weekly working hours.
- Neal’s 2 to 3 year plans to give back to the world in a meaningful way.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: