Imagine being a D1 starting quarterback with the world at your mercy, then ending up a drug-addicted burglar living on the streets and being sentenced to life in prison, then leaving prison to become a prolific author, speaker, and college professor. Well, that’s the story of today’s guest, Damon West, and he is here to tell us all about the power of becoming a coffee bean! We hear about Damon’s background and how he ended up in prison before he shares the “coffee bean” tale of a prison encounter with one Mr. Jackson that changed his life forever. Our guest explains what made him receptive to Mr. Jackson’s message, how you can avoid following the wrong path, why he decided to join the prison AA group, and what his inspirational book, The Coffee Bean, is all about. The themes explored in the book include being hypersensitive to what you can control and accepting the things that you can’t, understanding that your past doesn’t define you, learning to forgive yourself and others, and living your life with grace and humility. As a sought-after speaker, Damon teaches us about the power of positioning yourself correctly to gain a better perspective, so be sure to join us at this year’s VSVCon to hear more from the remarkable Damon West!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Taking a look at Damon’s background, which started as a very privileged life.
- How he went from D1 starting quarterback to burglar and living on the streets of Dallas.
- What made Damon receptive to hearing Mr. Jackson’s message.
- How to avoid going down a path that may be harmful to you.
- How Damon made the decision to join the prison AA group.
- What his book, The Coffee Bean, is all about.
- The importance of paying attention to what you think, say, feel, and do.
- Relinquishing control and accepting what you cannot control.
- The value of accepting that your past does not define you.
- How to go about forgiving yourself: start with forgiving everyone else.
- Why grace and humility are paramount to living a peaceful life.
- A reminder of VSVCon 2023 on April 28th, where Damon will be one of our keynote speakers!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Passive Income Through Multifamily Real Estate Facebook Group